Thursday 14 November 2013

CHRISTMAS CAROLS AND GIRAFFE POO

Hello everyone

Spring is almost behind us so a quick photo and a big Arr!!  Forget the Big 5 this lot are the cutest

Spring has sprung - Very proud mum
Sorry I  can't resist. More extreme cuteness

"Mum - when I grow up I want a horn just like yours"


Well here we are again and back by popular demand. Okay a small exaggeration.  One person liked the blog and actually wants some pictures of us. So for those of you with a nervous disposition look away now. These are for you Apeksha at Accounting for International Development (a fine institution)


The old folk celebrate Christmas early - Turkey and Tinsel (ask my mum and she will explain!!!)

The very happy winner of the Xmas raffle 


Please don't laugh. Yes I know it is still 7 weeks to Christmas so how were we supposed to know when invited to a concert of the KZN Youth Choir that it would be a Christmas concert and be performed in a Church hall!!! We haven't sung Carols since we were in Primary school but there's nothing like a good old singalong to get everyone going. It really was a lovely evening and of course the icing on the cake (yes there was Christmas cake too) was us winning the first prize in the raffle - a Xmas hamper stuffed with goodies. And there was I telling someone that we always get the last prize ie the one you want to donate back immediately at the next function you attend. Not this time - tee hee!!

I'll leave the giraffe poo to the end but I suppose you could skip the rest of my ravings and go straight there if you want. It may save a minute or so of your life. Dear reader tis your choice.

A quick weather update. Somebody forgot to tell us that there is a rainy season which lasts 9 months. Basically, with a few exceptions, each day the temperature soars into the 30s followed by scary thunder and lightning and then heavy rain. Apparently it gets incredibly muggy in Jan/Feb and you sit in the office with a pond on your head. Can't wait.

Anyway if you are still with me I should briefly mention our local monkeys. As I walked out of our little cottage last week I was met by a monkey coming out of the house with a sliced loaf of bread. Yes they are extremely clever but NO he hadn't sliced it himself but he had carefully lifted the top off the china bread bin and placed it on the side before making off with his ill gotten gains. He proceeded to climb on the verandah roof and was joined by the rest of the troop whilst I watched on. I took some film and photos as they tucked in and then popped inside. As I walked out again they had gone and from behind me the empty plastic bag drifted over my head with crumbs falling from it. A surreal moment as the monkeys gave their equivalent of two fingers stuck up.
It's okay you just sit and enjoy it.  I'll just get you some butter and jam too or would sir prefer marmalade!!!

Life continues to be interesting (4 months nearly.Wow) and I am still amazingly happily ensconced in my office merrily playing with my two computers (one has the accounting software. We can't afford multi user. 'Ah shame' I hear you say) and of course reading the latest edition of  'Bookkeeping for Dummies'. The CEO actually thinks I know what I'm doing. If you are reading this Marcus. 'Fooled ya!!!!'

BORING ALERT. For those of you with an accounting bent can I just say that in South Africa there are no rules for the layout of Charity Accounts, you can claim back VAT on nearly everything, you can claim back VAT for years before you register (true) and the South African Revenue Service ( SARS as we fondly call them) are actually quite efficient . The same cannot be said for Standard Bank who continue to amaze me with their labyrinthine rules and awful administration. This blog was so nearly called 'Please stay on the line your call is important to us'. 90 minutes the current record.

Sorry. Bet that made you leap to the end. If there is anyone left reading then Manda is also working hard, definitely harder then me, as she has to commute 2-3 times a week to The Health Academy where she is deeply involved  in the set up of the new Monitoring and Evaluation database ( for those of you from the BBBC the words -'like a pig in s**t' might spring to mind). She is also as mentioned previously doing the FIFA /Sony project and the kids are now using the cameras in their own neighbourhoods and recording their  lives.

After 5 days of work we do feel the need for a bit of R and R at weekends. How many times do I have to tell you to stop laughing. 8-4 and lunch at the desk. Proper W.O.R.K

I'll carry on regardless.Durban certainly isn't London so you have to dig for gems. Recently we became flag waving British patriots for the night as the Durban British Society had its own Last Night of the Proms. They played all the favourites and of course culminating in Land of Hope and Glory with me wildly waving my England/Leyton Orient flag as Manda desperately tried to disassociate herself with the lunatic on her left.

Believe it or not we haven't been for a day at the beach yet. I know a few of you would kill for the golden sands and warm Indian Ocean especially at this time of year. I'm sure we will do it at some point

It is outside Durban where we get most of our kicks. We counted up and have been to about 10 different game and nature reserves ranging from a small nature reserve in walking distance to full blown 'Big 5' reserves. That doesn't include the monthly bird walk round the DCC golf courses at 6.00 in the morning.

A Turaco -  designed by a colour blind committee




A Red Bishop -  Wonderful colour - 6.30 am - Wakes you up seeing that!!


You can never get bored especially having recently been extremely close in a Jeep to a Lioness and daughter  and then standing about 60 feet from a male Lion. When he stood up and turned and looked at us I was pleased that the pelvic floor exercises I had to do post op a few years ago seemed to have done a job. Thankfully he loped off for  bit of peace and quiet.
Lion disturbed. We are standing a bit too close for comfort

Huge sigh  of relief. He decides to go

In a Jeep about 10 feet away. I offered my nail clippers but she declined


 We also had a scary moment when a lone male elephant decided we were inside his comfort zone and charged us several times. Luckily the guide can drive in reverse faster than I drive forward. Mr O'Shea and Mr Berry go to the back of the class for sniggering. Oh, and more accurately than I drive a golf cart. Anyone can mistake the accelerator for the brake. That is why they put a wooden sign there. To stop you

I have a very shaky piece of film of the elephant chasing us which I will spare you. I was more concerned with hanging on for dear life

So then the finale and our moment/s of madness (as if this whole year isn't a bit off the wall).


We went to a great game reserve called Thula Thula. Please please read 'The Elephant Whisperer' by Laurence Anthony who was the owner but who tragically died about 2 years ago. A fascinating story and his other books are excellent too.

You have the option of doing a walk in the bush, not necessarily for the faint hearted but they do walk away from where the Elephants are and there are no Big Cats. But I digress. Having seen lots of birds and plants and the really fascinating Dung beetles.(I could watch them all day as they pat their balls of dung into shape and then roll them to a burial spot) we headed towards a 'tower' of Giraffes.

Forget Pooh sticks. 2 Dung beetles racing is much more fun


The guide stopped and drew two lines in the sand about 10 feet apart. He then bent down picked up a pellet of Giraffe poo, popped it in his mouth rolled it around a bit and spat it over the second line. Amazingly and I am still wondering what we were doing we all followed suit. Manda got further with her spit than I did. She still goes on about the time she beat me at Crazy Golf about 30 years ago but I was spared the celebrations and taunting this time. The guide explained it was safe because Giraffes are herbivores. We are still alive and feeling fine for the moment

Dessert was a termite on the tongue, apparently mint flavoured. Manda had a go at this but I was full so declined. Manda and I will be auditioning for 'I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here' as soon as we get home.

Would you do the Giraffe poo challenge?

We would love to hear from you by e-mail, Skype, Facebook or you can comment on this blog

We promise to focus a bit more on the work of the Charity and life in the township next time

Very best regards to all

Spencer and Manda - your Southern Africa correspondents

 PS I cannot believe I haven't mentioned the Orient. I have a permanent grin on my face. Even Manda is impressed so they must be good.


Amazulu v Bloemfontein Celtic at the wonderful  World Cup stadium in Durban. The 'crowd' is on the left if you look carefully. West Ham you can have the Olympic stadium with pleasure. Mr Hearn save your money.








2 comments:

  1. Wow - what an adventure!!! I LOVE your blog Spencer. This one made me laugh out loud!! Not only are you having a good time, but you are both making a difference to children's lives. You two are brilliant!! Keep the blogs coming!! Have a great Christmas and very Happy New Year - just in case we don't communicate beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward eagerly to your blogs and love to hear about your latest adventures and general happenings there in Durban. Eeww! What on earth enticed you both to sample giraffe poo and insects for desserts?!! I think the heat has seriously gone to your heads! :-) You know what they say don't you? "Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun".

    Going to read your next blog now. Love to Manda xxx

    ReplyDelete